Neuromuscular Dentistry in Hatfield
Diagnosing and treating TMJ Disorder
Do you suffer from any of the following symptoms? If so you may be one of the many undiagnosed TMJ Disorder sufferers:
- Headache, jaw, ear, or facial pain?
- Being unable to open the mouth comfortably
- Clicking, popping or grating sounds in the jaw joint
- Locking of the jaw when attempting to open the mouth
- Headaches, neck, shoulder and back pain
- A bite that feels uncomfortable or "off"
- Swelling on the side of the face
- Ringing in the ears, ear pain or decreased hearing
- Dizziness and vision problems or other similar problems?
At Distinctly Dental we can diagnose and treat TMJ Disorder with Neuromuscular Dentistry [your bite].
Neuromuscular Dentistry takes into account your malocclusion (bad bite or crooked teeth) and relates it to your head and neck pain. We take a four step approach to Neuromuscular Dentistry treatment. These steps are:
- Comprehensive Exam
- Orthotic Therapy
- Recording Your Ideal Bite
- Making alterations to your teeth [if appropriate] to give you a more ideal bite
Orthotic therapy involves the use of an oral splint which is worn each night. It looks like a sports mouthguard and is custom made to your individual needs. This orthotic appliance prevents further wear of teeth and once in place will help us to acheive your ideal bite.
Click here for Comprehensive Co-Discovery Exam, You and Your Bite and Functional Aesthetic Dentistry – Cosmetic Dentistry That Lasts – Oral Health Reports for patients of Pankey Institute Trained Dentists.